Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2nd piece

So I did some things for the first time last night.

I threw on a kick wheel which was a very interesting experience. I usually throw very fast so centering was kind of tricky because the speed of the wheel was limited. I never do functional pottery, usually it's more conceptual thrown porcelain which I have been doing for about 7 years.

I also made my first pitcher. It only took me 7 years! ha On my to do list of functional pottery is a tea-pot and a plate each of which i have yet to do.

I had one hour to get the handle on and have it put away to dry. Because of the limited time I had to torch the piece so there are some cracks in the foot. I had to patch the spout with some more clay because I did not leave it thick enough to manipulate.

I am actually pretty excited to actually use this once it is fired. We'll see if the spout dribbles or not.

update: someone broke the handle off! So I guess i might attempt another pitcher in 7 or so years.

2 comments:

  1. Rad. I can't believe you did that in a single sitting, can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...me too! Fantastic stuff man...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete